Sunday 28 April 2013

Teaching the Premiership


I've got to do my first bunch of student reports this week, as my kids are all about to move on to the next level of study. My 'teaching' is pretty much just singing songs, telling stories, and playing games all day, so from next week, we're moving on to more advanced songs, more advanced stories, and the same games! But first I have to write reports for about 40 kids, grading them on various different areas, then writing a little paragraph or two about each kid. Now the really good kids are easy to write about. And the really bad kids are easy to write about, but all the kids in the middle . . . . . what do you say? "Your child is average."?

So I thought I might just relate all the kids to Premiership football clubs;

"I frequently forget your child is in the room. They never do anything bad, they never do anything good.
Your child is West Brom."

"Your child is pretty much the same as West Brom child.
Your child is Fulham."

"Your child used to be really good when he/she was younger, but is now only good occasionally, and has a tendency to make a fool of him/herself.
Your child is Liverpool."

"Your child has a brand new iPad.
Your child is Man City."

"You bought your child an iPad, but it didn't help.
Your child is QPR."

"Your child really doesn't appear to be anything special, but then whenever we have a test, your child comes top.
Your child is Man Utd."

"Your child only joined the school last year, but has been a breath of fresh air, making friends with everyone.
Your child is Swansea."

"Your child plays very nicely with others, and is very good at drawing nice shapes, but hasn't done well in any tests for a while."
Your child is Arsenal."

"If you spent some money on books, CDs, DVDs, etc., then your child could really progress, but is still doing pretty well.
Your child is Everton."

"Your child seems to have a new Step-Dad every few months. Your child really doesn't like his/her current Step-Dad. Your child really wants his/her real special Dad to come back.
Your child is Chelsea."

"Your child is French.
Your child is Newcastle."


You get the idea. Though maybe the parents would need to be fans of English football to really appreciate it?

As for my status as the school's Science Teacher, so far in science we have;
- Drawn a beehive and cut out a picture of a bee.
- Played with a magnetic board and some magnets.
- Coloured in a wooden doll.
- Made a wooden dog that for some reason, had wheels (as dogs don't generally have).

Its all very technical. Each Monday I am filled with excitement to see what scientific discovery the kids will be making this week!

Oh, and I did manage to accidentally send a kid sprawling across the floor this week. I sit on a chair at the front of the class, with the kids sat in a horseshoe shape in front of me, and I'd asked one of the kids to come up and point at a carrot in a picture I was holding. Well because I am hilarious, I decided to move the picture out of his reach as he tried to point, and as the kid tried to reach for the picture, he lunged at it, went over my knee, and went flying! I thought it was hilarious! Thankfully so did he! Oops!


Away from school life I visited Seodaemun Prison this weekend. Its situated in Independence Park in Seoul, and is kept as a historical monument to all the Koreans who were imprisoned and tortured while fighting for independence against Japanese rule. As you may or may not know, Japan occupied Korea from 1910 - 1945, and fairly brutally oppressed the Korean people, leading to a lingering dislike of Japanese people amongst Koreans to this day. Thousands of Koreans were tortured and executed at Seodaemun, and it was certainly an interesting place to visit and learn about the Korean struggle to restore their independence.




On a lighter note, my baseball career continued with another crushing win, 14-4 this time, meaning I am still undefeated! We've got a good stock of pitchers, so I don't think I'll ever get the chance to pull out my curveball or anything like that! And I'm still yet to get on base while batting. Hitting it is no problem, its getting to first base before the ball thats the hard part! Still its all about the team, and while we keep winning (and following up the wins by sitting in the sun, drinking beer and eating hotdogs), I'll be happy!


And finally a new segment called 'The Adventures of Tyrion The Turtle'

This week, I introduced little Tyrion to his namesake, and he watched him intently for clues as to how to act;



Tyrion (top) meet Tyrion (bottom)


Anyway, he seemed pretty happy afterwards, and now he understands more about where his name came from. I think its important that everyone knows a little about their name. For instance, I'm named after my Grandad. My middle name anyway. I'm Dave Grandad Bainbridge . . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment