Thursday 11 April 2013

Baseball & Nuclear War


So amidst escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula, I thought I'd better write another post to ensure everyone knows I'm still alive and war has not broken out (at the time of writing!). Despite North Korea calling for all foreigners to leave South Korea as they didn't want them to get hurt in the event of thermonuclear war, I have no plans to leave. I really can't emphasise enough how little Koreans care about what the North is saying. Its the same old news for them, its been going on for 50 years. The North come out with all these threats, and then nothing happens. Its the anniversary of the birth of the founder of North Korea, Kim Il-Sung next week, so its widely expected that they might launch a test missile to 'celebrate' but certainly no-one I've spoken to feels the slightest bit of concern here.

Of far greater concern, certainly to fans of brass instruments, is the crackdown on trumpets;


No Trumpets!!!

There is to be no playing of trumpets in Korea! I saw this road sign on a recent walk round, and while my Korean is coming on, I can't read what it says. Or more precisely, I can read what it says, but I don't know what it means. But just to be on the safe side, I won't be playing any trumpets.

On the football front, some friends and I recently went to an Asian Champions League game at Suwon's Big Bird Stadium, and saw the mighty Suwon Bluewings get hammered 5-2 by a team from Japan. In the second half, Suwon were awarded no fewer than four penalties! They proceeded to miss three of them! And after each penalty, whether Suwon scored or missed, the Japanese team went up the other end and scored within a minute! It was crazy! As before, after the game, the Bluewings dutifully went over to the away fans, and bowed, and then came over to the home fans and bowed. They were greeted by applause from the home fans, despite their embarrassing defeat, and total inability to score penalties!


No shame in missing three penalties!

And yes, this Saturday sees the beginning of my journey from baseball novice to MLB Allstar! I'm making my debut as the Seoul Baseball League gets underway. I explained to the captain that I've never played baseball before, but that my extensive rounders experience in school PE, coupled with my history as a Yorkshire cricketing legend, should make me an instant hit in my new sport. He was not convinced, so I'm starting on the bench as a designated hitter on Saturday. Which means I won't be trusted to field, but that I should get a couple of innings to go and have a swing, and hopefully make contact! I got myself some cleats (baseball shoes) and batting gloves, and I'm picking up my new uniform tomorrow, so I will look awesome! All the gear, no idea! Its only a matter of time before I'm playing somewhere like this;

This is Jamsil Stadium, at the game I went to last week

I'll keep you all updated as my baseball career progresses, though I expect my awesomeness will make the news wherever you are . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment